Having pests in your home can be a nightmare, they can leave dirt, disease, and some can cause significant damage to your property. The range of pests can be anything from a tiny termite to a rodent. Depending on the severity of your pest problem, you may be able to exterminate the pests yourself using various over the counter products.
When using some of these products, such as sprays and gases, precautions must be taken as they can contain harmful chemicals. A professional exterminator will know all of the precautions and will make sure the job is done safely and correctly, so no health is at risk.
If you are in need of some pest control and aren’t sure if you should call in a professional exterminator or DIY it, then here are some pointers, tips and information to help.
There is a wide range of pests that can invade your property and they can differ seasonally. Here are some of the more common pests that could infest your property:
● Bed bugs
Do it yourself pest control
Depending on the type of pest problem you have, there can be a broad range of over the counter products you can buy in an attempt to exterminate the unwanted intruders. You can buy sprays, gasses, traps, and more for every kind of pest.
These are readily available and sometimes quicker and cheaper than calling out a professional for a small pest infestation. If you have a larger infestation, you can attempt to rid of them yourself, but precautions must be taken as the gases and sprays can contain chemicals harmful to us if inhaled.
Some Risks, Precautions, and Tips:
● It can be difficult to work out where pests are entering your property, but before you start spraying or using gas, try to find the general area so you can apply the pesticides more directly, resulting in fewer toxins being aimlessly released. Doors, windows, and small holes are often common places that pests use to gain access to your property.
● As mentioned before, an off-the-shelf pesticide can contain some harmful chemicals that could affect you, your family or your pets. The can or bottle the pesticide comes in should have instructions on how to use the product safely, so make sure to follow those.
● To exterminate rodents you can buy traps or poison. There are different types of traps, but the most common type are humane traps, where it catches the rodent unharmed so you can release it outside, and snap traps that kill the rodent. If you are going to use snap traps or poison to exterminate the rodent pests, be aware that you will have to discard the bodies, and some people can find this quite upsetting. With poison, the rodents could die in places you cannot find or reach. This could result in not only a horrible smell but potentially bring in more pests such as flies that are attracted to its smell.
Benefits of a professional
When it comes to particular pest problems, only a professional will be able to get the job done correctly. There are several good reasons to hire a professional exterminator, including:
● If you have a large pest problem or have pests such as bed bugs, they can be quite stubborn to exterminate. Buying off-the-shelf products and trying to get rid of them yourself could end up costing a lot of money. Not only could you be spending a lot, but also you could even be doing more harm than good by releasing unsafe chemicals into your property. Sometimes it’s best just to call in a professional who knows what they are doing and can perform the extermination efficiently and safely. They will know the most effective methods of exterminating all types of pests, even the most resistant, and at Bob Jenkins Pest & Lawn Services, we always put your safety first.
● It’s critical to get pests seen to as soon as possible, the longer you leave them, the bigger the problem gets and the more damage they could have performed. Pests such as termites will destroy wood; this could be wood that is essential to your property’s structure. A professional exterminator will be able to locate the pests, know what method to use, and get rid of the pests quickly.
● Attempting to get rid of large pest infestations yourself can be quite time-consuming, and getting a professional to do the job can allow you to feel much more relaxed and confident that the pests are being properly taken care of. They also tend to use techniques that are less toxic, so you don’t need to worry about toxins getting into your home and affecting you and your family.
From mosquito control to rodent control, a professional can help to get rid of any pest you have quickly, efficiently and safely.