Summertime Pest Control: Natural and Simple
It’s that time of year again, and how else to better beat the heat than staying indoors? Unfortunately, this is exactly what many pests are doing as well, and that leaves you having to deal with them. Whether it’s getting bit by mosquitoes near your grill or having to deal with cockroaches in your kitchen, knowing proper pest control should be a top priority. Using organic pest control is beneficial in keeping your family safe from both pests and toxic chemicals. So, here are just a few safe methods that are effective for the most common summertime pests:
1. Mosquitoes- The most infamous of summertime pests, these creatures thrive in heat and humidity. Many homeowners will apply pest control sprays and chemical deterrents which contain high levels of DDT, without even knowing its damaging effects. Some spray alternatives include a mixture of apple cider vinegar, witch hazel and eucalyptus oil or even liquefied garlic on the skin, although the smell might deter more than just mosquitoes! Your best bet would be to use Thai Lemon Grass oil, especially using the liquid from Thai Lemon stalk applied directly on skin. Using citronella-based candles or catnip will be effective for repelling in a large area, or even planting marigolds.
2. Ants- Stepping in anthill is no joke, and with fire ants, this is an even more painful event. For an interactive way to trap ants, mix sugar, honey and water on a shallow plate to trap and kill. Mix soap, water and alcohol for a lethal concoction you can use directly on these pests. Adding borax to the mix or pouring boiling water on anthills also works, although these are more dangerous and so should be used with caution. Additional methods include sprinkling cinnamon or cayenne peppers in high-traffic areas, as ants hate these scents.
3. Cockroaches- Cockroaches can spread bacteria and filth around any vulnerable food sources, making you or your pets sick. To prevent them from affecting your pet’s food, simply sprinkle baking soda around the food bowls. Using Diatomaceous earth over high traffic areas if effective against unseen infestation and is also completely safe for humans and animals. Given that you don’t have a cat, use catnip, bay leaves, cucumber slices, or garlic to repel additional cockroaches. For a fun pest control project, you could try to combine beer-soaked bread with a slippery container in order to trap and kill these pests.
4. Flies- Flies carry a number of airborne diseases and can spread dangerous pathogens. Minty oils are also effective against flies, and so try to set it near windows or apply directly. Trapping and killing flies work the best, as they will usually not have an infestation within your home. Try placing overripe fruit with some fruit juice in a bowl covered with plastic wrap and then poke holes just big enough. A similar concept is to have a funnel placed in a container with apple cider vinegar. Both ways will trap and kill flies by drowning, and they can also be a fun activity to make with kids.
5. Bed Bugs- Nobody wants to have bugs in their beds, and as you stay in hotels throughout the vacation season, you are more likely to bring bed bugs back to your home as they thrive in warm, moist weather. This is a more serious infestation, as they can spread diseases and bite you throughout your sleep. Note that only preventive measures are possible, so spraying chemicals around the bed is ineffective and bad for your health. To reduce the possibility of increasing bed bugs, expose your mattresses to either extreme cold or heat. Also, cleaning and maintaining your house is important, with an emphasis on vacuuming. Be sure to wash your sheets and clothing in hot water whenever possible, to kill possible eggs. In the end though, if you do spot an infestation, you should call a pest control expert to successfully treat the problem.
6. Termites- Probably the most reclusive of pests, they are especially prevalent in the summer, as rotting wood is more likely to form due to the heat and humidity. These pests pose more of a problem for your home rather than anything else. As such, they can cause you thousands of dollars of property damage if ignored. Proper termite control is important and should be employed before further damage accumulates. There are only a few green treatments, such as heat treatment, using orange oil, and replacing old wood with pesticide layered wood. Although, the biggest issue is finding the origin of the colony, and only a pest control specialist can successfully find and diagnose a house.
Don’t let these pests bring you down this summer season, there are so many ways to fight back! If your kids are looking for things to do, try making these traps for fun as they are easy, safe and effective!
You Can Be Sure that Jenkins Pest Control Company will always be there for you in San Antonio and New Braunfels
Rodents can sense if the owners of the quarters they are boarding are complacent in their attitude towards pests. They take advantage of it. It also shows how careless you are in keeping the pest out of your home. Then again, all is not lost. You can do something definite about it. You can still get rid of the rats, mice, cockroaches, and other pests if you want to, if you are really determined. You may have been irresponsible to let them prosper, but you can correct your error at soon as possible. All is not lost when it comes to cleaning up the pest from your home.
The moment you start seeing rats playing out in the open, unmindful of your attendance, then you’ve got a severe pest problem. Normally, you would not see rats do that. But if they have grown in numbers already, they feel a bit bolder and reckless, to say the least. Don’t be bothered, they still fear you. But considering how they’ve managed to proliferate in your home, they will be feeling a little bit cozier already.
Admittedly, there are a lot of ways to get rid of pests, but the suggested solution is to get the assistance of a dependable pest control company, such as Jenkins Pest & Lawn. This is the dependable way to do it. The expenditures will be worth it. Look at it as an investment decision. An investment well used up for the very reason that you will be reaping the fruits of it for many years to come. On top of that, you will have the serenity of mind, secure in the knowledge that your abode is safe and free from pests. Honestly speaking, it will be worth every penny that you will spend.
It is plain and simple, pests such as mice, bedbugs, cockroaches, and spiders will not thrive if you take prompt actions against them. At the first sign of any of these pests, you should take steps to remove them. If you catch them in the early stage, then you can stop them right then and there. Even plain spraying of insecticides could have done the job. However, if the invasion is in its advanced stage already, you need to have the help of a licensed pest control company. Only through them will you be able to get rid of the pest effectively and permanently. If any and all of these remedies fail call us today!